Construction work of Padma Bridge under financing of Bangladesh Government is going on and targeted to be completed by end of the year 2018. The Padma Multipurpose Bridge provides four lanes for road traffic on top deck and in bottom deck a Broad-gauge Single Railway Track. With the view to connect Dhaka with South-west part of the country within shortest possible period, construction of a rail link between Dhaka and Jessore earned prime importance.
Feasibility Study, Detailed Design and Tendering Services had been completed for Dhaka – Bhanga section while only Feasibility Study have been conducted for Bhanga – Jessore section by the Consulting Firm namely CANARAIL in JV with SMEC of Australia, DB of Germany and ACE of Bangladesh engaged under financing of Asian Development Bank (ADB).
Total route length is around 169 km which has been divided into four (4) sections, viz Section-1: Dhaka – Gandaria (3km), Section-2: Gandaria – Mawa (37km), Section – 3: Mawa – Bhanga Junction – Bhanga (42km) and Section -4: Bhanga Junction – Jessore (87km).
To operate trains up to Mawa from the DAY-1 over Padma Multipurpose Bridge, construction of Section-3: Mawa-Bhanga is targeted to be completed by the completion of Padma bridge construction. As such Mawa, the eastern part of Padma Multipurpose Bridge, will be connected with the existing network of Western Zone of Bangladesh Railway through Bhanga-Fadapur-Pachuria-Rajbari section. Construction works of other three (3) sections will also be commenced at the same time to connect Jessore with the Capital City Dhaka via Padma Multipurpose Bridge.
The project aims at constructing new railway track (approz.169 Km) from Capital City Dhaka to Jashore via Padma Multipurpose Bridge to establish new Broad Gauge (BG) railway connectivity through south-west part of the country. Total Track Kilometer is 215,22 Km including loops and sidings and double lines.
The targets of the Projects are –
- Construction of new Broad Gauge (169+3) =172 Km route main line and 43.22 km loop & siding line. Total track is 215.22 km including loops & siding
- Construction of 23.377km viaducts, 1.98 km , 66 major bridges, 244 minor bridges/ culverts/ underpass, 1 road overpass (at Mawa approach) and 29 Level Crossings.
- Construction of 14 new station Building and remodeling of 6 exiting station buildings along with Platforms, Platforms Shed, approach roads, functional and residential building for O&M personnel and other allied works.
- Installing Computer Based Relay interlocked signaling System along with Telecommunication System of 20(Twenty) stations.
- Supply of 100 BG Passenger Coaches.
- Supervision Consultancy Services.
- Acquisition of 1796 Acres private land and implement RP & EMP.
Assist Bangladesh Railway in acquisition of 1700 Acres private land, handover from DC offices, installation of boundary pillars etc.
- Provide resettlement implementation services
- Keep liaison and coordinate with various utility service providing agencies to assist BR in relocation of all utility services in the RoW
- Coordinate with Bangladesh Bridge Authority, Roads and Highways department, Dhaka WASA, RAJUK, DTCA to identify Interfacing issues and undertake an integrated Construction schedule
- Review Bridge Deck Arrangements in Padma Multipurpose Bridge for installing railway track over the bridge
- Environment Protection and Monitoring Plan preparation, implementation and submission of compliance reports
- Review of Investigation, Survey, Detailed Working Design, drawings and design calculations for construction works
- Provide technical support associated with approval of contractor submissions, proposal for design modifications as well as for overall testing and inspection of the Works within due time limit
- Review of detailed methodology, quality assurance plan, detailed work schedule, environmental management plan, safety assurance plan etc.
- Supervision of all Construction Works
- Supervision of all Construction Works ensuring safety of train operation following the Codes, Rules, Regulations and manuals of BR specially in existing railway lines
- Consultant shall monitor and ensure construction work is done following detailed work schedule
- Preparation of Progress Report(s)
- Provide Contractual legal advice, technical advice and assist Project director in time and cost management
- Review of IPC
- Installation of Archive and museum of construction work of the project
- Formation of Expert Panel
- Main Bridge
- River Training Works (RTW)
- Janjira Approach Road & Selected Bridge End Facilities
- Mawa Approach Road & Selected Bridge End Facilities
- Service Area- 02
- Land Acquisition
- CSC- 02 (Main Bridge & RTW)
- CSC- 01 (Approach Roads & Service Area-2)
- Engineering Support & Safety Team (ESST)